The Society of the Sacred Heart opened a "house of studies" in Oxford in 1929, and moved to 11 Norham Gardens in 1932. In 2012 the community celebrated their 80th birthday. The intervening decades saw many changes in use of space and community make-up. Its primary focus, too, saw different expressions, but fundamentally it always remained the same: the encouragement and facilitation of learning and development.
To celebrate this 80th anniversary one of the community at that time, Sue Acheson RSCJ, worked on a history of the house, which is below. Meanwhile, one of the students video'd some past and present residents - click here
for this glimpse into our lives (inlcuding an interview with Dorothy Bell RSCJ, who lived in the house in the early 1950s!)
(In September 2015 the Society moved out of 11 Norham Gardens, which is now being run by one of the Oxford colleges)